The students at Brigadoon P. S. will have frequent access to computers and information technology. Brigadoon P. S. adheres to the Waterloo Region District School Board’s Acceptable Use of Technology Guidelines. The use of the computers and other technology is a privilege, not a right.
All students will have an account within the WRDSB intranet server. They will be able, under teacher supervision, to access a number of programs and internet sites. Internet sites with inappropriate or adult content are blocked by the WRDSB. Students are expected to use the technology appropriately and responsibly.
Unacceptable Conduct includes the following types of activities and other unmistakable misuses of the technology:
- Using school computers for any illegal activity, including hacking
- Plagiarism or copyright violation
- Vandalizing equipment or the data of other users
- Downloading files that are not for educational purposes (e.g. games, music, movies)
- Invading the privacy of individuals, harassing others or personally attacking others
- Sharing or using others’ access codes
- Downloading or posting inappropriate comments, defamatory remarks or pictures
- Using abusive or offensive language in public or private messages
The privilege of using the computers may be suspended or taken away if students are not using them appropriately and following the guidelines. Serious offences could result in suspension and/or expulsion.
Some parents wish their Brigadoon student to have a cell phone in order to contact them after school hours. Please be advised that students may not use their cell phones while at school or in the classroom and that we do not have secure places to keep them. We cannot be responsible for lost or stolen phones. Please do not accept calls or texts from your child at school saying they need to go home. We will always get in touch with you if that is the case.